“But why me?” I asked, with a hand on the eyepiece.
“Because you have a special power.” The red-haired Scottish
woman said. “Tell me, what’s this?” And she held up a model of a blue phone
box. I’d seen them on street corners before.
“A phone box.” I replied, with some hesitation. I remembered
the dream, but I didn’t say anything about that.
“And what else?” her voice was softer now, more human, with
just a tiny hint of wonder. I hesitated again. “Go on, Bella. Only you can
answer this question right now. I will understand. Don’t be afraid to say what
you think.”
“A time machine.” I spat the answer out quickly, before I had
enough time to think about what I was saying. “The one from my dream. It
happens every night, I see it, and I think it has something to do with…” I
stopped speaking.
“Go on.” The woman smiled kindly.
I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. “This sounds very
strange, I know. I’ve tried explaining it before to other people, but they
don’t get it. Every night, it happens. I have this dream where I’m standing in
a park, with this phone box, only it’s not a phone box, it’s a time machine,
and I’m a time machine too, like we’re connected or something, and then I hear
the voices, a million voices all at once, like everything that’s ever happened
and everything that ever will is happening all at the same time and I can’t
hear my own thoughts and there’s no room for anything new because it’s so loud
that if it got any louder the whole universe would explode into a million
pieces.” I opened my eyes before whispering my last sentence. “Only I think it
already did.”
No comments:
Post a Comment